Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

 

 

Medicare 101

  • Medicare is funded by deductions from your paycheck (just like Social Security), plus Part B Premium,
  • Part B $135.50 Month for those new Medicare in 2019, with Adjusted Income of $85,000, or less, per year, or $170,000 per year, for a couple.
  • Must have Medicare Part A and Part B to enroll in any Medicare Supplement Plan or Medicare Advantage Plans.
  • Medicare basically is an 80/20 Plan, Medicare pays 80%, and you are responsible for the remaining 20% co-insurance, and deductibles.

 

If you are receiving Social Security benefits prior to Age 65, you will automatically be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B, when you turn age 65. Your Part B premium will be deducted from your Social Security benefits automatically, and therefore you will not need to take any action to enroll in Medicare Parts A and B.

 

When you turn Age 65, you have a seven-month initial enrollment period.

For Example: You turn Age 65, April 20, 2019.

  • You have the month of your birthday, April, as well as the three months prior to your birthday, and the three months following your birthday month. You may enroll as early as January 1st, and as late as July 31st.

You can enroll in person at your local Social Security office, or apply online at www.SSA.gov.

 

Clients still working past Age 65, with Employer Health Plan:

  • You can delay enrolling in Medicare Part B until you retire, and enroll in Part B at that point.
  • You are provided a special enrollment period when you retire, regardless of the time of year (no need to wait until Annual Enrollment Period).

 

Instructions to locate the Medicare Enrollment Page on www.SSA.gov:

  • Click on ‘Menu’ icon in the header, and then in the middle row, third line down, click on Medicare
  • At the bottom of the first paragraph, you find the blue box, and click on ‘Apply for Medicare Only’.
  • Next will be a page that you have to agree to the terms at the bottom of the page.
  • Click on ‘Start New Application’ in the second grey box and your on your way
  • Medicare will ask about your current health insurance, date and place of marriage(s), Military service, Employer details for the prior two years, and bank information.
  • This process will only take about 10 minutes.
  • You will receive your Medicare card in the U.S. Mail in about two weeks.

Your card will have your new Medicare number and effective dates for Part A and Part B, at that point you can enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan or purchase a Medicare Supplement plan.